Thursday 10 January 2013

Book Review:The Grimm Diaries Prequels volume 1- 6 ****

What if all you knew about fairy tales was wrong?

The Grimm Diaries are pages written in a Book of Sand, where each fairy tale character confessed the true stories once altered by the Brothers Grimm two centuries ago. To keep the truth about fairy tales hidden, the Brothers Grimm buried the characters in their dreams to never wake up again. But the curse is broken now, and the characters are allowed to wake up every one hundred years. They intend to tell the truth about really happened, and about an untold cosmic conflict between fairy tale characters.







Sorry to my readers for reviewing another Cameron Jace book but I have really been captivated by his amazing ideas for his books.

The Grimm Diaries Prequels explores the characters from the Brother Grimm fairy tales and other famous stories which the author has concocted a horrifyingly mesmerizing world. The prequels are diary entries made from the Snow White Queen, Alice Grimm,Peter Pan, Little Red Riding Hood, the Devil and Prince Charming however you will encounter many more familiar figures on this journey. The prequels have been released to give readers a taster of the soon to be released series. The first book called Snow White Sorrow is due to be released in February 2013.


I decided to review the prequels as all in one as they're pretty short. I absolutely loved the retelling of some of these classic tales, I loved the remodelling of the characters, shaping them with dark qualities. The imagination and creativeness that has been nurtured in to this world is admirable and surely adored by readers and author alike. 

This is a very well suited Young Adult novel as the humorous voice will teenagers and young adults entertained however to improve from my perspective some voices of the characters don't match. For example the Snow White Queen will say such colloquial and present sayings that I find it a bit unbelievable as you would expect a regal tone from her. Nevertheless I still find the storytelling entertaining though leaves me to give a four star rating as I feel the diversity in voice would be needed to make these novellas a five star. 


No doubt I shall be reading the next prequels and purchasing the main series. I am eager to find out more of the authors interpretations of the tales as he matches and combines them with other myths in characters to father these unique novellas. 

4 comments:

  1. This is such a clever idea for a series of books. I used to have a book of Grimms fairy tales when I was little and they terrified me! I always thought their storeis were so dark, so it's hardly surprising that someone has managed to take them and give them an even darker twist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love Grimm fairytales, gothic, dark, brooding and magical. These books sound great I will definitely be checking out the first one for my next read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would actually love to read this collection, I am usually more a fact than fiction sort of reader but this collection got me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sound great, I must read these so I'm putting them on my long list of books to read!

    ReplyDelete